Welcome to Shrewsbury & Newport Canals Trust

Donate now

Working to restore the canals from Norbury to Shrewsbury

The Shrewsbury and Newport Canals were officially abandoned by the 1944 Act of Parliament but they are now under active restoration.

The Trust was formed in 2000 to return the Shrewsbury & Newport Canals back to navigation.  Very little of the line of the canals has been built on and no insuperable engineering problems lie in the way of restoration.

The Aims of the Trust are to protect, conserve and improve the route of the Shrewsbury and Newport Canals, and branches, for the benefit of the community and the environment, with the ultimate goal of restoring a continuous navigable waterway linking Norbury Junction to Shrewsbury.

We are making progress and have obtained Heritage Lottery Funding towards the restoration of the transhipment building and warehouse at Wappenshall Junction.   For more information about Wappenshall, see Features in our Canals section of the site.

Below is a video made by the Canal and River Trust about the benefits to communities when waterways are restored.